Washington Fails to Play Spoiler with Loss to Eagles

Washington Football Team

Washington Fails to Play Spoiler with Loss to Eagles


Washington Fails to Play Spoiler with Loss to Eagles


With Washington’s playoff hopes down the drain, all they could do on Sunday afternoon was go out and compete. Washington would receive the opening kickoff and get things started instantly. They would drive down the field and score on the back of Jaret Patterson. Patterson would handle the bulk of the carries since star Running Back Antonio Gibson was placed on the COVID list a few days ago.

The defense would continue this momentum as they would force a punt their first time on the field. After teams exchanged punts again, Washington would find themselves driving. Unfortunately, the drive would stall out and they would have to settle for a Joey Slye field goal as the first quarter ended. 

The Eagles would respond with a quality drive of their own. They would score off a Boston Scott rushing touchdown that would trim the lead to just three points. After both teams failed to do anything with their next drive, Washington would look to change that.

Washington looked to be driving with ease until things stalled out. Washington would have to settle for another field goal. The defense would then answer the bell again as they got a stop, which gave them the ball with a chance to score before the half. Unfortunately, they couldn’t get a touchdown but Joey Slye would nail a 55-yard field goal as time expired. 

Halftime score WFT 16 – PHI 7

Washington came out in the second half and it looked, well, not good. They would start the half with a stop on defense and then things would only get worse. The offense would then go three and out, which started the misery. The Eagles would then drive down the field and score off a Boston Scott touchdown again. That would be the only score of the quarter as Washington would punt the ball away again. 

Washington still somehow held a two-point lead but would be forced to punt again. The next Eagles drive they would take a one-point lead on a field goal. Looking to finally do something in the second half, Taylor Heinicke would force a ball downfield that would be intercepted.

The Eagles had an opportunity to ice the game with a touchdown but Washington’s defense stood tall and forced a field goal, which pushed the lead to four. Much like the rest of the half, Washington did nothing on offense and the Eagles would go on to win the game. 

Next week in the regular season finale, Washington will travel to New York to take on the Giants. Both teams come into the game struggling but they will have the opportunity to end the year with a big divisional win.


More The Wright Way Network